Department of Translation and Interpretation
|Course Code||MTB 106|
|Course Title||Meaning and Function|
|Instructor||Prof. Dr. S. Yeşim Aksan|
|OBJECTIVE(S) OF THE COURSE|
|The aim of this course is to enable the students to describe the relation between morphological and syntactic forms of English and Turkish and their corresponding meanings and functions.|
|09.04.2020||Review of clause grammar||Conrad&Biber Unit VIII;|
|16.04.2020||Verbs: Functions and classes||BCL, verbs|
|27.04.2020||Special uses of verbs||Real grammar, part II|
|04.05.2020||Copular verbs||BCL, copular verbs|
|Textbook(s)||Biber, D., S. Conrad, G.Leech 2002. Longman Student Grammar of Spoken and Written English. London: Longman.
Conrad, S., D. Biber 2009. Real Grammar. London: Longman.
Göksel, A. , C. Kerslake 2011. Turkish: An essential grammar. London: Longman.
Sezer, A. 1995.Turkish-English Contrastive. Grammar.
Turan, Ü. D. & Köse,G. 2011. Turkish Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics and Discourse. Eskişehir: Anadolu Üniversitesi.
Yavuz, H. & A. Balcı 2011. Turkish Phonology and Morphology. Eskişehir: Anadolu Üniversitesi.
|Supplementary Reading(s)||Crystal, D. 2002. The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language. Second Edition. Cambridge: CUP.
- It is the student’s responsibility to record and follow his own attendance. (For the percentages, refer to the University’s Education Guide.)
- Students should not enter the classroom after the class has been started.
- Students who do not bring their course materials are not allowed to enter the class.
- Cell phones should be turned off, or set to vibrate for emergency during the class. Camera, tape or video recording is not allowed if not stated otherwise.
- It is the student’s responsibility to practice the highest standards of academic honesty. Cheating, plagiarism and any other form of academic dishonesty will not be tolerated.
- Assignments submitted later than the indicated dates are not accepted. Deadlines should strictly be followed.
- It is the student’s responsibility to obtain missed information from another student, not from the instructor.